Education and Outreach
Throughout the year, Donka provides education and outreach on assistive technology and disability advocacy via numerous events.
Donka hosts computer lab tours and assistive technology demonstrations for special education teachers rehab professionals generally at no cost. Custom AT workshops has a charge depending on the length of training and participants.
Donka interns, including COD (College of DuPage) Service-Learning students, Northern Illinois vocational rehabilitation students, and Trinity Christian College students receive all their training at Donka at no cost, with the confidence and expectation that they will use these skills in the field of education, social work, or vocational rehabilitation.
Community agencies that serve persons with disabilities benefit from Donka by building relationships to serve the individuals they work with. Examples include AutonomyWorks, Little City, Center for Independence, various Department of Rehabilitation offices, Marian joy, People’s Resource Center literacy programs, and Turning Pointe Foundation.
Donka staff currently includes 4 instructors to serve 12-13 students per day; the staff also participates in community outreach programs 2-3 per month. Classes are weekdays generally from 9 am to 12 noon; however, we make accommodations for persons who have transportation barriers or conflicting schedules.
Each “semester” Donka supports interns from College of DuPage service learning, and generally 1 intern from a local university during the year.
Weekly volunteers provide on-going instruction for specific graduates who require specialized attention.
Donka instructors regularly participate in professional development to learn current AT outside of their training hours.
Lab and Assistive Technology Tours
Donka hosts computer lab tours and assistive technology demonstrations for special education teachers, rehab professionals, employers, and donors.
Advocacy in the Community
Donka hosts assistive technology training workshops for disability professionals. Donka regularly participates in community events as an exhibitor to increase awareness of our computer training programs and to provide outreach services to the community.
Some recent 2018, events and community advocacy include:
- Attending Assistive Technology Industry Association Conference
- College of DuPage – Disability Employment Initiative – IT Exploration
- Exhibitor at Visually Impaired Awareness Day
- Kane County Transition Planning Committee tour of Donka
- Accessibility Training at Trinity College for pre-service Spec Ed students
- Teaching instructional staff of People’s Resource Center about accessibility software
- Training workshops for DuPage Care Center staff in iPad accessibility and apps for seniors
- DuPage County Transition Planning Committee – assistive technology demo
- Annual fundraiser – Naperville Healthy Driven Marathon – TEAM DONKA
- Exhibitor at Day One Pact Parent and Caregiver Conference
- Assistive technology tours for Northern Illinois University students in the field of vocational rehabilitation
- Exhibitor at transition fairs: Wheaton Warrenville South, Waubonsie High School, LaGrange Area District Special Education
Past events include:
- AbilityLinks Consortium–hosted ADA and the Workplace Seminar
- Chamber of Commerce, Business After Hours–hosted event jointly with DuPage Convalescent Center
- Citizens Advocacy Fair–booth
- College of DuPage Job Fair–booth promoting hiring employees with disabilities accommodation
- College of DuPage Volunteer Fair
- DuPage County Teachers Institute Day–hosted teacher sessions on AT and job placement
- IL Rehabilitators Assoc., Regional Conference–panel seminar on AT
- IL Educators of the Physically/Health Impaired–workshop for teachers
- Internet Training Seminar for the Blind & Visually Impaired
- Midwest ACE Conference–presented panel seminar and had an AT exhibit booth
- Open House for DuPage Community Leaders technology
- Opportunities for the Blind–hosted regional awards ceremony
Advocacy Committees — Community Affiliations
Donka staff is involved with key disability and community committees including Kane County Transition Planning Committee, Ability Links Consortium, Giving DuPage- Executive Director Consortium, DuPage County Transition Planning Committee, West Suburban Philanthropic Network, Wheaton Chamber of Commerce – Not-for-Profit Committee, Illinois Assistive Technology Project, and People’s Resource Center.
Connect with us!
400 N. County Farm Rd.
Wheaton, IL 60187
Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday – Closed
Sunday – Closed
The subscribe button is for subscribing to the Donka Newsletter
Site by: Paul Gregory Media